About this route
The Northwestern cycleway is almost entirely off-road, helping you avoid busy roads and providing a safe way to get from the west in to the city and back again. It connects through to other off-road or protected cycle paths to get you in to the CBD and down to the waterfront.
The route provides access to:
- Henderson Creek shared path,
- Point Chevalier Shopping Centre,
- Pasadena Intermediate School,
- Newton Central School,
- Western Springs College,
- Auckland Zoo,
- Western Springs Park,
- Western Springs Stadium.
- Grafton Gully cycleway.
- Nelson Street cycleway (under construction) and Te Ara I Whiti, the light path.
Who can use the route
Commuters and recreational cyclists can enjoy cycling into the city or out west along a direct and continuous cycle route.
Pedestrians may also use the route.
Map of the city-end of the cycleway
Other access points
Some parts of the Northwestern cycleway are fenced off but you can join and exit the route at various points, including:
- Northern end of Lincoln Road, Henderson.
- Central Park Drive near CARTERS building supplies.
- Northern end of the Henderson Creek shared path.
- McCormick Road, Te Atatu.
- Motorway junction on Te Atatu Road.
- Patiki Road, at the base of the motorway off ramp.
- Rosebank Road, at the base of the motorway on ramp.
- Great North Road, at the motorway junction.
- Carrington Road and Great North Road intersection (northern side of the motorway), Pt Chev.
- Carrington Road (southern side of the motorway).
- Sutherland Road/Novar Place, Pt Chev.
- St Lukes Road, at the motorway junction.
- Western Springs and Bannerman Road corner.
- Cardigan Street, Western Springs.
- Rhyde Street, Western Springs.
- Myrtle Street, Western Springs.
- Finch Street, Western Springs.
- School Road, Morningside.
- Kingsland Avenue, Kingsland.
- Fourth Avenue near Nixon Park.
- New Bond Street, Kingsland.
- Near 51 King Street, Kingsland.
- Hesketh Street, Kingsland.
- Buchanan Street, Kingsland.
- Alexander Street, Kingsland.
- Bright Street, Eden Terrace.
- Haslett Street, Eden Terrace.
- Takau Street, Eden Terrace.
- Corner of Partridge and Waima Streets, Grey Lynn.
- Ian McKinnon Drive near Devon Street.
- Piwakawaka Street, Eden Terrace.
- Newton Road near Northwestern motorway off ramp.
- Randolph Street, Eden Terrace.
- Karaka Street, Eden Terrace.
- France Street South near the Kings Arms, Eden Terrace.
- Canada Street.
- Upper Queen Street.
- Grafton Gully cycleway.
Please be aware that some of these entrances may be affected by road works on the Northwestern motorway.